Today we’re launching a scalable tags system that can be used for a whole slew of different use-cases.
Several of our most-requested features are activities, sub-projects, tags, categories and different versions of those features. Now we’ve solved them all with one system, and we think you’re going to love it. Here’s how it works:
There are two types of tags:
- Main tags
- Sub-level tags
They look like this when you’re logging hours:
One of the first hings you'll notice is the use of emojis 😍🎉💪🏼. Every tag can have its own custom emoji, which makes separating them seriously easy.
- Main tags use checkboxes and you can add as many as you’d like to an entry.
- Sub-level tags use radio buttons and are organized under a main tag. You can only choose one of these.
One of the things that make sub-level tags great is that you can only choose one. For example, if you choose coding, you can’t also choose design for example. Instead, if you want to be able to choose both coding and design, make each of them a main tag. Here are two examples of how you could organize sub-level tags:
View entries based on tags in Reports
With the new tags system, you can now filter data in reports based on tags. It looks like this:
- By default all tags are chosen, which also include untagged entries.
- There’s a new Tags section where you can click ‘Show Hours’ to see entries that have that tag.
We think this is a scalable solution that should work for a ton of different use-cases and we’re excited to see how you use it 🤓! You’ll find the manage tags page under Settings.
A couple of notes:
- This is a paid-only feature, meaning no free accounts can use it.
- Since we had a fairly old hidden Tags system from before, all previous tags will be converted to the new system and previous entries tagged accordingly.
- It’s currently launching on the web version only, but will be coming to iOS very shortly.
- If you don’t want to use tags, simply don’t add any. We wont show you the field when logging hours.
Thanks for using Timely and please do share with us how you’re implementing this! 😍